November 12, 2005

new alpha

Complete with comforting blue console screen. Forgot to post
about the newly acquired miata. Personal Workstation 600au:
600mhz ev56, 512mb ram, 3 4gb barracudas on fast-wide scsi,
dual tga2s. Happiness in a box. It's running 4.0F, the amusing
compaq/digital hybrid version, where they had only gotten
around to changing a little bit of the branding.

(Hell, when I worked on it, we were -still- changing branding
in 5.0A and 5.1.)

I don't have a name for her yet. I don't have a name for the
little HK either. Hard to focus my mind onto certain things.

music: Kosheen: Hide U

candice at November 12, 2005 01:36 AM

Comments

Miata?

Posted by: Llarian at November 12, 2005 11:49 AM

"Internal" code name for that machine type. Pretty common notation for them - most of the open source alpha freaks use the names as well - most of -them- worked for DEC at some point too. I remember a lot of the code names, though everyone gets the flamingos and pelicans and stuff confused.

Posted by: candice at November 12, 2005 01:24 PM

I've got my 500au (his name is Roheryn) in the rack, running 5.1B :-)

Posted by: YatPundit at November 19, 2005 06:12 PM

Cool :) I had a few patches that made it into the 5.1 series, and some of them made it into the patch sets for earlier versions. I worked there for a stint while I was in college, as digital was being subsumed by compaq.

I'd been wanting my own one of this class for years.

Posted by: candice at November 20, 2005 01:05 AM

where did you work? I used to go to ZKO, CXO, and ALF all the time to teach, then they laid off all the people on Spit Brook...then CXO...then it was just helping out Managed Services at ALF...I worked with a training contractor out of Boston until the assimilation by HP, then they lost their inside political contacts. Used to teach Tru64 up to Internals I. My fave was the TruCluster class, though...

Posted by: YatPundit at November 20, 2005 07:37 AM

I spent six months at ZKO in 2000, and a summer at SHR (Shrewsbury, by Worcester) before that. It was a blast.

I didn't know when they closed spit brook, but I was pretty much assuming it was dead by now. Those folks all came from the Mill, the old ones at least.

Posted by: candice at November 20, 2005 02:26 PM

the Mill was cool! They didn't close ZKO, but they did re-align a lot of the teams there, since the roadmap pointed in the HP-UX path not the Tru64 path. Which is a real bitch, because there was a lot of VMS clustering folks who came over to UNIX, only to see that evaporate before their eyes.

I was at ZKO a lot in 2000, mostly teaching TruCluster. I didn't start doing Internals regularly until 2001, when Mark Hagstrom started getting burned out on teaching it. Even got a couple of trips to France out of that gig. I only went to SHR a couple of times, when I was writing courseware for the backup teams at CXO...they had a couple of the big tape libraries at SHR they let me use so I could work on Compaq stuff while teaching at EMC down the road... :-)

Posted by: YatPundit at November 21, 2005 11:14 PM

I'm not old enough to have ever been to the Mill, but I've heard all sorts of cool stories about the place.

Dare I ask how you ended up in Massachussetts from (I'm guessing) being raised in New Orleans?

Posted by: candice at November 22, 2005 12:04 AM

my dad worked at UNO for over 30 years, was manager of the electronics shop. UNO was a Digital shop for years, with a Decsystem 10 and a bunch of 11s. Went to a high school where we had free run on a PDP-11/77 running RSTS/E, then BSD for a couple of years, worked at Radio Shack selling their XENIX systems while I was teaching high school, kept up with UNIX ever since. Hooked up with a guy in Boston who went to school with a few guys who worked for Digital, and he started sub-contracting classes to me. Was a blast, I miss that work...

Posted by: YatPundit at November 23, 2005 05:46 AM