August 04, 2006

new media new orleans

So, in addition to getting into fights on the internets with
some of Chartreuse's readers here about it, I've offered to
help out on the ground with this project. This should get
interesting.

Any locals with suggestions on more people to point them at
and locations to go to are appreciated.

I so suck at these proper bloggish posts with all of the
links out. There are plenty of other people talking about
this and a couple of them want to interview me. Lovely.

music: White Stripes: I just don't know what to do with myself

candice at August 4, 2006 06:57 PM

Comments

You rock! And thanks.

Posted by: chartreuse at August 5, 2006 03:10 AM

Not to pick a fight, but... it strikes me that the problem with, for example, CNN coverage isn't what they report, it's that it's what people watch. So having someone cover the "real story" (as, it seems, some are already doing) isn't going to actually change anything; people are still watching CNN, and CNN is still covering things as CNN does. I think people who genuinely give a crap are already getting their newsfeeds from elsewhere, and the rest care for as long as it takes them to finish their morning coffee, say "oh, that's terrible", and leave for work.

Still, go you.

Posted by: Waider at August 5, 2006 03:55 AM

The rest that care still don't have good information. The local bloggers are pretty insular, sadly, (there are a few good exceptions, but not many) and there's not much first-source work going on, everyone talks about the paper and channel four. Myself included on the last score, I'm not generally doing reporting, closest I get to that is pictures and stories.

I personally find that when you show people on the outside what does go on, they DO care, and they ask why CNN isn't covering it.

Posted by: candice at August 5, 2006 12:04 PM

This is wonderful.

Posted by: Damon Brown at August 6, 2006 10:38 PM

Thanks. Much appreciated coming from the journalist. :)

Posted by: candice at August 7, 2006 07:13 PM