October 28, 2006

gas pump heaven?

field of gas pumps

My parents found this while doing some touristing recently.
It's apparently a whole field full of them by the Tennessee
Valley Train Museum.

And it's 2am on a Friday night and I'm sitting here avoiding
cooking up stored procedures.

I'm contemplating something of a contest to come up with a
company name for when I decide to incorporate for myself.
Something along the lines of if anyone gives me a name I
really really like, they get dinner at Commander's. Maybe.
I hate naming things. I'm also itching for an excuse to
go eat there since they've finally reopened.

music: Persephones Bees: Paper Plane (brand new! happy!)

candice at October 28, 2006 02:02 AM

Comments

Happy Happy Fun corp?

Posted by: javajawa at October 28, 2006 03:12 AM

Good for you and your self-incorporating-aspiring self.

Some ideas about the process, off the top of my head:
Is the dot com available?
Is it short?
Does it describe what you do?
Is it easy to remember?
And here's a weird one: is a toll-free number of the name available? (i.e. 1-800-CANDICE)

Some ways to get started brainstorming:
What do you like? Start writing down words. Circle all the really unique words.

That's the kind of stuff I did when I came up with YamLike.

I've never been to Commander's and I've always wanted to go. Maybe I could afford lunch sometime.

Posted by: Simon Dorfman at October 28, 2006 04:32 AM

I went around Christmas 2004 as something of a treat then, with an old friend. It was really, really cool. (You see, there were these oysters with caviar on top of them...)

Posted by: candice at October 28, 2006 12:16 PM

thats funny. so weird.

Posted by: eddie at October 29, 2006 08:18 PM

Yeah...

It's good to have non-disaster weird stuff though. I see enough bizarre stuff just driving around normally.

Posted by: candice at October 29, 2006 08:24 PM

Are the gas pumps full? Free gas, cool!!! LOL

Good for you on the Bus. decision. You go girl. I always like to see people follow their dreams.

I will bite on the name game. (Good suggestions from Simon by the way). What exactly do you do? I know a little - computer related, but not enough for what would fit (Email me if you want). Acronyms (sp? - I just got back from Vegas so the mind is a wee bit rusty) are also good to use. And dinner would be a good reason for a trip!

Posted by: Mike at October 30, 2006 01:22 AM

I should have incorporated quite some time ago, really. It's more of a formality at this point to put my current work in an entity. Taxes get slightly easier, among other things. (Like oh, lawsuits.)

Nil on the acronyms. Tends to make unpronounceable company names.

Posted by: candice at October 30, 2006 02:01 AM

If I come up with a name, will you arrange for a trip to nola so I can cash in on that lunch? :-P

Posted by: Trevor at October 30, 2006 08:15 AM

Disagree - example - IBM

Posted by: Mike at October 30, 2006 09:11 AM

Trev, I'm not that rich.

Besides y'all, it's just an idea.

IBM is an abbreviation. And I said I don't like them. It's my rules.

Posted by: candice at October 30, 2006 11:15 AM

OK, by your rules then. It is your
contest. I'll buy the dinner once
you incorporate!

Here are a few quick ones:
-deleted for references to my last name-

I'm better with slogans, than names! Programming, we know IT.

I'll keep the name factory
in subconscience mode
and see what comes out.

Posted by: mike at October 30, 2006 01:54 PM

Note that this is a theoretical challenge. Names are not being accepted for submission at this time.

In a word. No.

Posted by: candice at October 30, 2006 02:02 PM

Gotcha

Posted by: mike at October 30, 2006 02:53 PM

I vote to stay close to the weapons theme...

Posted by: Robert Bruce at November 2, 2006 10:37 PM