November 23, 2006

on disasterworld

Some stuff to ponder. Ray is contributing to Squandered Heritage,
which is documenting historic properties up for demolition.
Also, this is in this month's GQ, following the year of an ordinary
block in the lower 9.

Related, tangentially. Dear IKEA: Please build us a store near
New Orleans. Lots of people here need decent cheap furniture.
I don't want to have to drive to Houston for inexpensive modern.

Unrelated, I need a new camera. A disaster and two mardi gras'
and my miniature sony is toast. Thinking of picking up one of
the thin flat black cybershot variety.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

music: Shapeshifters: Lola's Theme
(mmmmmm bad club music. Addictive.)

candice at November 23, 2006 02:10 AM

Comments

R.I.P. Awesome camera.

Posted by: Damon Brown at November 23, 2006 10:54 AM

I’m look at a camera upgrade myself – maybe in the post christmas sales. The one I have my eye on is a real video camera (seeing as how I’ve become obsessed with creating videos) 3CCD image sensors, massive internal hard drive, does 5MP stills and fits in the palm of your hand. A little pricey but I’m thinking of spoiling myself.

Posted by: Mr Angry at November 23, 2006 10:28 PM

Loren (1938) has one like that. I forget the specs, actually, but it's that class of tiny video camera.

I have never had the patience necessary for editing video, so I feel it's probably a waste for me to buy anything but a (primarily) still camera at this point.

Posted by: candice at November 23, 2006 10:35 PM

Dang, didn't you just buy that, or am I just getting old fast?

Posted by: Justin at November 23, 2006 10:43 PM

That picture there is from before Christmas 2004. It managed about two years of living in my purse. (Fairly abusive environment for electronics, considering. Glad I have a flash-based iPod.)

Thing is they don't make them as small as I want.

It's 2006 now, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it. Feels more like the 2005 that should have happened.

Posted by: candice at November 23, 2006 10:46 PM