January 29, 2007

fashion police

so-called proverb

We were playing fashion police at Ms Mae's late on Saturday
night, on the way home, stopped in an emptyish bar for a minute,
and that was adorning the wall in the ladies room.

music: Doves

candice at January 29, 2007 01:01 AM

Comments

So the old spanish were hard on bad dressers too?

Posted by: Mr Angry at January 29, 2007 11:34 PM

Apparently? It seems more fit to the Italians, really, but hey.

We were at least trying to point out the well dressed people too, the bars by my house, they're really crowded at 3am. (And generally highly entertaining.)

Posted by: candice at January 30, 2007 03:53 AM

Spanish proverb. Hmmm.

Irish proverb - Ag duine féin is fearr a fhios cá luíonn an bhróg air.

The wearer best knows where the shoe pinches.

;)

You would more than likely see these people walking barefoot, shoes in hand, at 3:00AM.

Posted by: Jessica Doyle at February 1, 2007 01:17 AM

Heh. People stagger home at different times around here; that particular bar we were in does not close. (Ever. Not even Christmas; I live about ten blocks away and I drove past it on my way home.)

Only things that kept my shoes on New Year's Eve was the cold and that the streets in the quarter are terrifying.

Posted by: candice at February 2, 2007 03:14 AM

Now is "well dressed" a factor of many inputs? Style, uniqueness, confidence, ... ?

I'm asking mainly for an education and to maybe learn a thing or two :)

Posted by: Fraser at February 5, 2007 11:51 PM

Short answer: Yes.

I could go long here... but a few points. Confidence usually follows from style, but in the cases where it doesn't, it can make things work for one person that would look terrible on the next.

Well dressed in the general sense for a guy: classic style, good shoes, all of it fitting perfectly. (Addendum to good shoes: tennis shoes need to not be boring.)

Womens' fashions are a lot stranger, and what's well dressed one year may be outdated in two, but it's the cut of the clothes being complimentary, and nothing too tight or too drapey when it shouldn't be.

There were some well dressed guys in that bar, but the girls...(I mean, not like I had room to talk, dressed punk-style like I was, but at least I wasn't wearing a dress over tights and cheap wedges.)

Posted by: candice at February 6, 2007 12:32 AM