May 23, 2008

bowls of pho

happy noodles

That one is from Pho Tau Bay in Gretna, which is my
current favorite of the batch. After Katrina wrecked
my favorite noodle place downtown (Purple Roses) and
they didn't rebuild, I had to go on a search for a new
go-to bowl of pho.

This coincided with the search for the perfect vietnamese
eggroll (the spicy kind with pork and carrots) because
the ones I ate as a kid across the river were so, so good.

Restaurant, Location, Pho status, Eggroll status:
Pho Tau Bay, Gretna, Excellent, Excellent
Kim Son, Gretna, Okay, Excellent
Pho Bang, Harvey, Excellent, Good
Pho Danh 4, Terrytown, Excellent, n/a
Moon Wok, Quarter, Good, Good
August Moon, Uptown, Okay, Okay
Jazmine Cafe, Uptown, Good for lunch, Excellent
Do Son, Mid-City, Not good, n/a
Pan-Asia, CBD, Good, n/a
Frosty's Caffe, Metairie, Good, n/a
Saigon Grill, Mandeville, Good, Good

I think these are all the ones I've tried in the New Orleans
area. Suggestions for new places to try are welcome. I have
not yet ventured into the restaurants in the east, so if you
have a favorite please say so!

Clay and I have gotten brave enough to try vietnamese iced coffee
and it is seriously awesome. Not brave enough for bubble tea.

See lunch studio for much better pictures of this sort of food
than mine. They rock, and daily food-blogging puts my
"new food" notebook list to shame. (But, I have tallied up
200 or so new restaurants since 2004.)

candice at May 23, 2008 07:52 PM

Comments

You should really try bubble tea, it's good. If you're ever out here again, I will take you to a Vietnamese place that has excellent excellent eggrolls. I fantasize about just getting 3 or 4 orders of them for an entire dinner sometimes, and skipping the main course (I usually go with a chicken + rice combo; Pho is too boring for me since I don't like to spice it up at all).

Posted by: petef at May 24, 2008 02:02 PM

When I was in elementary school, inbetween mine and my sister's dance classes we went and had those eggrolls and ham sandwiches for dinner, every week.

I am into the whole hot sauce in pho thing, but some of the broths they have down here are spicy to start with and you don't need much.

Maybe I will try bubble tea. (btw, we might go out west for jordan and wendy's wedding.)

Posted by: candice at May 24, 2008 07:30 PM

Vietnamese iced coffee (and the hot kind) is really simple to make-you've just got to get one of the little single-cup drip thingies...

Posted by: Justin at May 25, 2008 02:25 AM

forgot to say-I liked 9 roses when I was there-not sure if it's still open, but it was in gretna:
1100 Stephen St Gretna LA 70053 per the web

Posted by: Justin at May 25, 2008 02:27 AM

You know, my mom has one of those drip thingies somewhere... I just don't keep condensed milk around.

Will try 9 roses at some point, then, I'm not allergic to the westbank. :)

Posted by: candice at May 25, 2008 10:33 AM

There's a place in the food court at Place St. Charles that does a tolerable Pho, and better than tolerable bun dishes.

I'm not sure if the Pho Bang you mention in Harvey is the same one I'm thinking of on Veterans between Power & Williams, but they do a good Pho.

Other than that, I think you've hit the high points.

Posted by: Robert at May 25, 2008 09:54 PM

The pho in Place St. Charles must be post-K, because I'm never on that side of downtown anymore for lunch, and I didn't know it was there. Thanks!

And I think the Pho Bang way out on Vets is the same as on Manhattan; they are one of those weird vietnamese chains that has restaurants in Chinatown in NYC.

Posted by: candice at May 25, 2008 10:04 PM

I love love love 9 Roses! Yes, it is still there and it is still damn good.

Posted by: liprap at May 26, 2008 11:29 AM

And we did try the Pho Bang in Queens once when we still lived in NYC. We were not impressed.

Posted by: liprap at May 26, 2008 11:31 AM

I should talk about food more often, with all these comments.

liprap, I think the next vietnamese place we try will be 9 Roses.

Posted by: candice at May 26, 2008 03:18 PM

You have to try anything that's on Chef Menteur highway. The really famous place on chef is Dong Phoung, but there are several better Pho restaurants out there.

Posted by: Chris Bloch at June 15, 2008 11:34 AM

Thanks! I rarely end up out that way, but eventually I'm sure we'll get out there.

Posted by: candice at June 15, 2008 03:34 PM